Friday, April 19, 2013

Imagery


Pick a scene from the book, Uglies, and depict it visually and within writing on your blog.  Find an image online that closely represents what you imagined the Smoke, Rusty Ruins, New Pretty Town, Uglyville, Special Circumstances, etc. to look like as you read.


After you find an image THEN I would like you to write a descriptive paragraph (as a character – no need to tell me who) describing that place.  Be sure to incorporate imagery within your paragraph.  Remember: Imagery means that you are incorporating all of your senses; sight, touch, smell, taste, and hear.  I should see each of these five senses incorporated into your paragraph (major points).  Your paragraph should be no less than eight sentences.  Your goal is to create an image in the readers’ mind. 


Mrs. Carn’s Example: 




There is a chill in the air as I walk through the Rusty Ruins.  The silence is almost deafening until I am shaken by the sounds of metal and glass falling in the distance.  There is a coat of dust all over everything and I wonder, “Is it really dust or residue from a war that once happened on this land?” – either way it leaves my mouth feeling dry and gritty.  I am so thirsty and yet there isn’t one source of water anywhere in this decrepit city.  Cars are overturned, windows smashed, buildings burned – everything around me crumbling and falling apart.  What was this town like when it was all put together?  I find myself tripping and my shoes becoming tattered as I walk over the sharp pieces on the road – debris is everywhere and it is hard to miss.  The cars are not running and yet there is a faint stench of oil in the air…and also….death.  This is no place that I want to be for very long but it certainly is fascinating.  Life was once here, but now it is gone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment